Violent protests erupted in Kayole, Nairobi during the morning hours of Thursday, August 19, after it emerged that patrolling police officers had killed a resident the night before.
John Kiiru was apparently clobbered to death for violating the 10pm-4am curfew.
The victim was riding a Boda Boda home when police officers apprehended him. In the scuffle that ensued, the rider of the motorbike escaped narrowly.
Kiiru later sent a message to his wife after he was arrested at around 12.30 am on Thursday, August 19. He indicated his apprehension by law enforcement officers at Tushariane Stage.A photo capturing protests against police brutality in Kayole, Nairobi.
On the morning of August 19, his body was found at the scene where he was grievously harmed and left to succumb. Immediately, protesters got into action, calling for justice for the departed.
Kenyans.co.ke spoke to James Kianga, a resident of the area in Kayole who confirmed the severity of the protests.
Aggrieved youths took to the streets, barricaded roads and lit bonfires.
As at the time of publishing, the youth were still engaging police in running battles with multiple teargas canisters being lobbed.A photo capturing protests over police brutality in Kayole on August 19, 2021.armed death arrest killed armed
- PLAN IN PLACE24 January 2022 - 8:34 pm
- Recognition24 January 2022 - 6:43 pm
- NEW MEMBER24 January 2022 - 6:02 pm
- Response24 January 2022 - 5:44 pm
- exposed24 January 2022 - 5:57 pm
- new orders24 January 2022 - 4:38 pm
- Uplifting24 January 2022 - 5:07 pm
- revealed24 January 2022 - 3:09 pm
- BEST SUITED24 January 2022 - 2:14 pm
- Defiant24 January 2022 - 1:36 pm
- Revolutionaries24 January 2022 - 2:13 pm
- Remarkable24 January 2022 - 1:03 pm