At least nine people on Thursday afternoon, August 26, died after a lifting machine at a construction site in Kilimani area, Nairobi crumbled.
Confirming the incident, Kilimani police boss Andrew Muturi noted that the accident occurred at a construction site undertaken by a Chinese contractor - opposite the Department of Defence Headquarters.
An unconfirmed number of people were injured with varying injuries and are currently being rushed to hospital.
Police confirmed the incident as evacuation efforts were carried out by first responders.Kilimani accident site opposite D.O.D where 8 perished on August 26, 2021
Videos seen by Kenyans.co.ke showed ambulances leaving the scene of the accident possibly carrying victims.
Security was also beefed up in the area as crowds gathered outside the construction site. Traffic was also disrupted along the Argwings Kodhek road.
Muturi updated journalists stating that the number of fatalities was likely to increase.
The OCPD stated that the nine include seven Kenyans and two Chinese nationals.
“We have lost 9 people... they include two Chinese and seven Kenyans," the Kilimani Police boss stated.
He also confirmed that joint efforts to find more bodies, if any, was underway as bodies were yet to be taken away from the scene.
The 14-storey building is a student's hostel managed by Qwetu that is being constructed near Daystar University.accident died fatal
- most high26 June 2022 - 7:50 pm
- Avoidance26 June 2022 - 6:45 pm
- Triumphant26 June 2022 - 4:41 pm
- Revealed26 June 2022 - 3:58 pm
- Godsend26 June 2022 - 5:19 pm
- Comeback26 June 2022 - 3:24 pm
- Unfortunate26 June 2022 - 1:01 pm
- Details26 June 2022 - 12:52 pm
- Gloves off26 June 2022 - 1:49 pm
- Take Note26 June 2022 - 11:51 am
- Revealed26 June 2022 - 10:48 am
- On the spot26 June 2022 - 9:37 am