At least nine people on Thursday afternoon, August 26, died after a lifting machine at a construction site in Kilimani area, Nairobi crumbled.
Confirming the incident, Kilimani police boss Andrew Muturi noted that the accident occurred at a construction site undertaken by a Chinese contractor - opposite the Department of Defence Headquarters.
An unconfirmed number of people were injured with varying injuries and are currently being rushed to hospital.
Police confirmed the incident as evacuation efforts were carried out by first responders.Kilimani accident site opposite D.O.D where 8 perished on August 26, 2021
Videos seen by Kenyans.co.ke showed ambulances leaving the scene of the accident possibly carrying victims.
Security was also beefed up in the area as crowds gathered outside the construction site. Traffic was also disrupted along the Argwings Kodhek road.
Muturi updated journalists stating that the number of fatalities was likely to increase.
The OCPD stated that the nine include seven Kenyans and two Chinese nationals.
“We have lost 9 people... they include two Chinese and seven Kenyans," the Kilimani Police boss stated.
He also confirmed that joint efforts to find more bodies, if any, was underway as bodies were yet to be taken away from the scene.
The 14-storey building is a student's hostel managed by Qwetu that is being constructed near Daystar University.accident died fatal
- Wanted26 May 2022 - 2:22 pm
- Speaking in tongues26 May 2022 - 2:14 pm
- Scaling Heights26 May 2022 - 2:03 pm
- TALENTED26 May 2022 - 1:10 pm
- Concern26 May 2022 - 12:29 pm
- Sorry26 May 2022 - 11:53 am
- Upward Spiral26 May 2022 - 11:25 am
- difference26 May 2022 - 10:40 am
- Historic26 May 2022 - 11:11 am
- Relief26 May 2022 - 9:52 am
- TOUGH TIMES26 May 2022 - 9:35 am
- Blocked26 May 2022 - 8:57 am