At least 50 students of Ofafa Jericho High School in Nairobi were on Monday, September 20, hospitalised after inhaling smoking while putting out a fire that broke out in the school's dormitory.
Although no burns were reported, some students suffered severe smoke inhalation leading to their admission at the Metropolitan Hospital in Buruburu, Nairobi.
Fire fighters from the county government as well as police officers from the neighbouring police stations joined in the efforts to put out the fire that lasted for over an hour.
According to Metropolitan Hospital Chief Executive Officer, Dr Kanyenje Gakombe, no student was at risk or suffered any burn wounds.
Kanyenje noted that the students inhaled the heavy smoke fumes while trying to battle the fire that razed down a dormitory.
"We received 50 young men reported to have been in a fire incident at their school. They tried to put out the fire and in the process inhaled the smoke. Most of them have suffered smoke inhalation attacks," he stated.
Gakombe noted that a few of the students would need admission at the hospital for 24 hours for monitoring but noted that all of them were out of danger, adding that the hospital had the capacity to handle the crisis.
The CEO noted that they received calls for assistance from other hospitals in order to cater to the students.
"Some students have been moved to MP Shah, Nairobi Women, and Avenue hospitals," Gakombe affirmed.fire fight
- tragic24 October 2021 - 5:41 pm
- details24 October 2021 - 6:13 pm
- Victory24 October 2021 - 4:14 pm
- details24 October 2021 - 3:54 pm
- HUNTED24 October 2021 - 5:11 pm
- ARRESTED24 October 2021 - 2:53 pm
- HEART DESIRE24 October 2021 - 3:25 pm
- Tragic24 October 2021 - 3:54 pm
- shots fired24 October 2021 - 1:29 pm
- Called Off24 October 2021 - 1:17 pm
- OPPORTUNITIES24 October 2021 - 2:56 pm
- At crossroads24 October 2021 - 1:24 pm