UoN Student Goes Missing After Shootout in Nairobi Estate

  • University Of Nairobi
    University Of Nairobi
  • A sombre mood engulfed the family of Johnson Waiti Avomba, a University of Nairobi (UoN) student who went missing on January 1, 2022, at Kona Mbaya area in Kayole, Nairobi County.

    According to eyewitnesses who spoke to The Standard, there was a shootout at Mihango area, just a few metres from Kona Mbaya. The witnesses further intimated that a young man was shot during the gunfire exchange and his body bundled into a vehicle that later sped off. 

    Waiti's father, Kennedy Avomba, noted that he had inquired from the witnesses on what happened only to be informed that the vehicle was assigned to Kayole Police Station.

    Undated image of An entrance to a Police Station
    An image of a police station in Kenya

    "I asked around and those who witnessed the incident confirmed that police officers attached to Kayole Police Station had shot a young man, bundled him in the trunk of a car and sped off," the deceased's father claimed.

    Kenyans.co.ke contacted Kayole Officer Commanding Police Division (OCPD), Paul Wambugu, who noted that that they had received Waiti's missing report and investigations were in top gear.

    Alluding to reports that the vehicle used to flee with the body was from his police station, Wambugu noted that officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) had taken up the matter.

    The police boss noted that the DCI officers were treating the reports of a police vehicle being used to ferry the body as a possible lead to uncover the mystery and aid in tracing the missing Waiti.

    Waiti's father pointed out that his 24-year-old son had opted to remain at home in order to prepare for exams while the rest of the family travelled upcountry for the December and New Year festivities. Waiti was a fourth-year student taking a Bachelors Degree in Business Management. 

    "We agreed that once done with exams, he would take the three-week break upcountry and spend time with his grannies," added the teary father.

    He indicated that after a while, his son's phone went unanswered. Sensing that something bad had happened, the family urged neighbours to break the door and confirm his wellbeing.

    "I asked them to break the door and check what might have been happening. When they got into the house, they found his phone and laptop on the table with the television on."

    "I was hoping that by the time I get back, my boy would have come from wherever he had gone to, but until now I am still hoping that he will come," added the optimistic father.

    The family cut short its travel plans and travelled back to Nairobi in search of their son. They are now calling on the police to speed up investigations in order to trace their missing kin dead or alive.

    Police officers at a kidnapping scene
    DCI officers combing through a crime scene
    dead gun probe