A inmate at Kamiti Maximum Prison escaped mysteriously from Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) despite being under police watch, in chains and handcuffs.
William Muiruri Meta, who was serving his 14-year jail term for robbery with violence, had sustained serious injuries after allegedly being beaten by a Chief Inspector of Police at the prison and rushed to hospital.
“The inmate had been roughed up by a chief inspector of police and sustained serious injuries to his arm. After being taken to Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi, on Saturday, he was told to go back on Monday and that is when he was admitted,” said a source who sought anonymity.
Meta is said to also have incurred severe internal injuries in his left kidney and was under surveillance from Doctors and police officers before he disappeared on Thursday last week.
The officer in charge of the prison Henry Kisingu, however, denied the allegations and affirmed that the inmate had only gone in for cancer treatment.
Meta's family learnt of the suspicious incident and reported it to the Kenya Human Rights Commission but were yet to find out his whereabouts.
“I fear that officers that were with him at the hospital were responsible for arranging the escape,” said the anonymous source.
According to Mr Kisingu, the prisoner who was convicted by a Thika Court, was under the watch of four constables and one corporal therefore, the officers may have facilitated the escape or were just negligent.
The five officers have since been interdicted and are now awaiting trial in court.violence
- Explained25 March 2023 - 7:22 pm
- Mesmerising25 March 2023 - 7:14 pm
- NOTICE25 March 2023 - 7:11 pm
- Mystery25 March 2023 - 6:42 pm
- EXPLAINED25 March 2023 - 6:50 pm
- Did you know?25 March 2023 - 6:07 pm
- Debunked25 March 2023 - 5:36 pm
- Efficiency25 March 2023 - 5:51 pm
- Bizarre25 March 2023 - 5:16 pm
- adventure25 March 2023 - 4:35 pm
- Green Light25 March 2023 - 4:14 pm
- Apprehended25 March 2023 - 3:57 pm