A mentally challenged grandfather in Nanyuki, Laikipia County, has pleaded guilty after being accused of child trafficking.
The old man who now faces a jail term of up to 30 years, with an option of paying Sh30 Million, was arrested after being found trying to convince a 13-year-old girl to travel to Nairobi with him.
Julius Njeru is alleged to have convinced the girl to leave her home in Solio Village, on October 19th as she was leaving school.
The young girl had reportedly been chased from school due to lack of school fees. She was approached by Njeru who told her to go home and pack her clothes, promising her of a house-help job in Nairobi.
The girl went ahead to pack her clothes but her sister found out and stopped her. A few days later, Njeru approached the girl once again and gave her 60 shillings for transport. It was after the sister found out again, that she went ahead to report the matter to the police.
Njeru was arrested and taken to court where he was charged with child trafficking. He, however, defended himself before Senior resident Magistrate Evanson Bett saying he had grandchildren who solely depend on him. He further said that this was his first time to do this.
He was later taken to the Nanyuki GK Prison.arrest
- Tough times5 February 2023 - 8:38 pm
- Unbothered5 February 2023 - 7:38 pm
- Unlawful5 February 2023 - 6:31 pm
- Victory5 February 2023 - 7:56 pm
- Be Careful5 February 2023 - 7:19 pm
- Journey5 February 2023 - 6:51 pm
- CREDITS5 February 2023 - 5:55 pm
- Lanes5 February 2023 - 3:41 pm
- Accident5 February 2023 - 4:41 pm
- take note5 February 2023 - 3:30 pm
- Thirsty Days Ahead5 February 2023 - 4:17 pm
- Strategy5 February 2023 - 3:01 pm