Police officers from the Special Crime Prevention Unit have recovered 39 pieces of elephant ivory from a suspected ivory dealer in Ruiru, Nairobi.
35-year-old Thomas Muhoro was arrested Tuesday after the officers raided his house in Githurai Kimbo.
The suspect is accused of being involved in a transnational group dealing in ivory trade.
Director of Criminal Investigation unit Ndegwa Muhoro confirmed the arrest while parading the pieces whose worth was not immediately identified.
“We have found materials in his house that suggest he is part of a transnational gang that is dealing in ivory. This is an indication that almost 20 elephants were killed to get the ivory from them,” he stated.
Ruiru police boss Issack Thuranira stated that they raided the house after receiving a tip-off that illegal trade was going on in the area.
The suspect was taken to the Nairobi CID offices for further interrogation.
The authorities have put up a spirited fight against ivory smuggling which has been blamed for decline in tourism activities due to killing of elephants.
A few weeks ago, four police officers attached to government officials were arraigned in court after being arrested selling ivory.
Corporal Francis K. Karanja, who was attached to a Cabinet Secretary, Constable Peter Kuria Kimungi, attached to a former Cabinet minister’s security detail, Constable Martin M. Marangu, protecting a Principal Secretary and Corporal Stephen Chege Ngawai, who was also attached to a Principal Secretary's administration were also nabbed using a government vehicle.
Meanwhile, President Uhuru Kenyatta is on April 30, scheduled to oversee the burning of a 120-tonne stockpile of ivory in Nairobi National Park, organised by the KWS and supported by the Stop Ivory charity.
See photos:arrest killed suspect illegal fight
- new Appointment27 September 2022 - 6:09 pm
- Not Picked27 September 2022 - 6:03 pm
- Changing Faces27 September 2022 - 7:38 pm
- Unfulfilled27 September 2022 - 6:51 pm
- Lucky ones27 September 2022 - 6:36 pm
- Awarded27 September 2022 - 5:21 pm
- On the spot27 September 2022 - 4:38 pm
- Powerful27 September 2022 - 4:30 pm
- role27 September 2022 - 4:34 pm
- Trend27 September 2022 - 7:23 pm
- Revealed27 September 2022 - 5:00 pm
- Working state27 September 2022 - 4:21 pm