New powers accorded to Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery have seemingly caused anxiety in the National Super Alliance (NASA).
Nkaissery, in 2016, gazetted regulations which give him the exclusive mandate to determine who should access the national population information which the Opposition intended to use in determining the credibility of IEBC data.
In a letter addressed to the electoral body, NASA expressed its fears that the regulations would hamper the audit of the voter register and thus dent the credibility of the August 8 General Election.
The Opposition added that publication of the instructions was illegal since it would “prevent citizens and institutions from getting population data and profile of individuals who may be eligible to register as voters.”
“The Cabinet Secretary for the Ministry of Interior and National Government has taken unconstitutional and unlawful action by making regulations which in our view will impede the conduct of a proper audit,” read part of the letter.
The Opposition further raised questions regarding preparations for the polls, demanding the electoral body to give an assurance on the integrity of the voter register.
NASA has now given the polls body a one-week ultimatum to address the issues raised in the letter addressed to Chairman Wafula Chebukati.
"We urge the commission to respond formally to the issue raised in this letter not later than February 27. It is appropriate that we have full disclosure under the principles of accountability and transparency and the right to information. An expeditious response is necessary given the restrictive timelines,” the missive added.
- mysterious22 October 2020 - 6:02 pm
- updates22 October 2020 - 5:11 pm
- Last Minute Change22 October 2020 - 5:21 pm
- at last22 October 2020 - 4:51 pm
- notice22 October 2020 - 4:00 pm
- lanes22 October 2020 - 3:47 pm
- My Turn22 October 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Exams Plea22 October 2020 - 3:07 pm
- dead end22 October 2020 - 2:45 pm
- level up22 October 2020 - 2:34 pm
- Heartwarming22 October 2020 - 2:25 pm
- in large numbers22 October 2020 - 1:57 pm