A number of newborn babies, born over the weekend have been named in honour of US President Barack Obama.
According to AFP two women in Kisumu decided to name their sons after the US president's jet, Air Force One.
One of the mothers- Lucy Akinyi Okoth said, "I have decided to call my baby AirForceOne Barack Obama so that we can all remember Obama's visit to Kenya because it is a huge blessing,"
The two 'Air Force Ones' were among eight children born on Friday night at Kisumu Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Referral Hospital and named after Obama, said nurse Dolphin Akinyi.
Three girls also each got an Obama-related name. One was named Michelle after the first lady, another was called Malia, after the couple's eldest daughter, while a third was named Malia Sasha after the two Obama girls.
Three mothers also named their girls after US First Lady Michelle Obama, while another was called Sarah, the US President’s grandmother, Mama Sarah Obama.
A mother- Ms Silver Auma registered her baby under the name Junior Barack Obama while Ms Annette Cheptot, an Eldoret resident working in Kisumu, called her two-day old baby Junior Barack Kiprop.
“Each time I will be celebrating my baby’s birthday, I will remember that it is the day the first sitting President of US came to Kenya. It’s quite historic,” she said.
Ms Lilian Aoko, a Kisumu resident named her baby Barack Obama Ochieng' with Ms Beline Awuor also adding the name Nigel to Barack Obama.
So far there are no reports of children named after Obama's armoured limousine, code named "The Beast".
- New Target2 March 2021 - 7:42 pm
- this is why2 March 2021 - 5:52 pm
- Update2 March 2021 - 6:42 pm
- urgent2 March 2021 - 5:18 pm
- Tragic2 March 2021 - 6:28 pm
- By-election2 March 2021 - 6:16 pm
- Giving Back2 March 2021 - 6:14 pm
- rivalry2 March 2021 - 7:47 pm
- be ready!2 March 2021 - 5:28 pm
- Innovation2 March 2021 - 7:41 pm
- last moments2 March 2021 - 4:22 pm
- caution2 March 2021 - 5:11 pm