A 10-year-old boy was admitted in hospital on Friday, while two villagers died after they consumed “muratina” - a traditional drink in Meru.
The young boy survived alongside a 35-year-old man and the area Assistant-Chief, who were said to be preparing the brew for a dowry ceremony that was to be held in Igembe North.
Meru Police Commander Samson Kinne, stated that one of the deceased is also a former Chief in the area.
“This is a very unfortunate happening but we have determined that this was a traditional drink that many prepare during burial ceremonies and not a second generation brew as many would assume,” he stated.
The fight against alcoholism, championed by the President Uhuru Kenyatta, included Muratina in the list of illicit brews, which is contrary to what Meru County has sanctioned.
- Covid-1925 May 2020 - 5:20 pm
- tots on air25 May 2020 - 4:50 pm
- latest25 May 2020 - 4:31 pm
- Another One25 May 2020 - 4:26 pm
- the journey25 May 2020 - 3:26 pm
- Protests25 May 2020 - 3:12 pm
- Clarification25 May 2020 - 2:36 pm
- next level25 May 2020 - 1:50 pm
- Extreme Measures25 May 2020 - 1:03 pm
- coming clean25 May 2020 - 12:40 pm
- winning25 May 2020 - 11:48 am
- Head On25 May 2020 - 11:08 am