A 9-year-old girl is among the people who have been killed on Saturday morning when protests erupted after the announcement of President Uhuru Kenyatta as the winner of the August polls.
According to witnesses, Stephanie Moraa who was a standard four pupil at Mathare Primary School was shot in the chest when she was playing with other children outside her parents’ home in Nairobi’s Mathare North Area 2.
The mother of the girl wailed as she watched over the body of her child for fours hours after the unfortunate incident.
“Look, she got shot in the chest. She was playing outside with other children. Outside, police were firing bullets and tear gas,” said Ms Jane Misori who was the girl's aunt.
Protests erupted in parts of Nairobi, Kisumu, Siaya, Homa Bay and Migori after the Friday night announcement.
The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) claimed it had evidence of 24 deaths in election-related incidents since the August 8.
During a press briefing on Saturday, the commission chairperson Ms Kagmiria Mbogori conveyed that their monitors reported 17 deaths in Nairobi, two in Siaya and Migori counties, one each in Homa Bay, and another in Kisumu.
“We are concerned about the use of excessive force and we ask the Independent Policing Oversight Authority and the Directorate of Public Prosecutions to investigate these killings with a view to bringing the culprits to book,” she explained.
Religious leaders drawn from different faiths under the Multi-Sectoral Forum maintained that 18 people had been killed in the skirmishes.
Sheikh Ibrahim Lithome of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims told a press conference at Ufungamano House that they were saddened by the deaths.
[caption caption="Stephanie Moraa, Courtesy"][/caption]
- level up22 October 2020 - 2:34 pm
- Heartwarming22 October 2020 - 2:25 pm
- in large numbers22 October 2020 - 1:57 pm
- Old is gold22 October 2020 - 1:32 pm
- U-Turn22 October 2020 - 2:09 pm
- mearge22 October 2020 - 1:13 pm
- balling22 October 2020 - 12:50 pm
- Blunder22 October 2020 - 11:26 am
- dire situation22 October 2020 - 11:51 am
- unfortunate22 October 2020 - 11:01 am
- Nabbed22 October 2020 - 10:48 am
- pet peeve22 October 2020 - 11:02 am