President Uhuru Kenyatta has asked the Supreme Court to dismiss petitions challenging the validity of the repeat Presidential election, terming them 'a waste of time'.
In over 10 affidavits filed in response to the petitions, President Kenyatta states that the petitioners are agents and surrogates of the National Super Alliance (NASA) and its leaders.
"Accordingly, it is deceitful and misleading for the petitioners to masquerade as bona fide defenders of the public interest," he states.
President Kenyatta further urges the court to throw out the petitions as they raise no serious issues and are a waste of the Judiciary's time and resources.
He considers the petitions 'frivolous' and 'vexatious'.
[caption caption="The Supreme Court bench"][/caption]
He stated: "The 3rd respondent states that the petition herein consists of a flip-flopped and distorted narrative, which fails to represent the true position in Kenya following the annulment of the results of the Presidential Elections that were held on 8th August 2017."
The President further accused NASA of attempting to ensure no election was conducted on October 26 and therefore denying citizens the abilty to exercise their democratic right.
President Kenyatta also dismissed the notion that fresh party nominations should have been conducted for the repeat poll
He states that the court did not invalidate the nominations conducted on 28th and 29th May.
"The court merely invalidated the declaration of the presidential election," the President stated.
[caption caption="Activist Njonjo Mue filing the petition"][/caption]
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm