Narc-Kenya party Leader Martha Karua on Wednesday suffered a double blow after she lost her petition challenging the Kirinyaga County Gubernatorial election and ordered to pay for the cost of the case totaling to Sh10 Million.
The Court through Justice Lucy Gitari directed that the former Presidential candidate should pay Sh10 Million to all respondents in the case.
The respondents who had been listed in the petition include; Governor Anne Waiguru, her deputy Peter Ndambiri, the IEBC, and county Returning officer Samuel Seki.
[caption caption="File image of Governor Waiguru, President Uhuru Kenyatta and Martha Karua"][/caption]
It is still not clear the total amount each respondent will receive since the Court directed that the deputy High Court registrar should come up with a formula on how much each of the four ought to be paid.
Defending the decision, Justice Gitari explained that she relied on a recent ruling by a Mombasa Court where a petitioner had failed to meet the standards set for an election petition.
Meanwhile, the Court on Wednesday dismissed an election petition filed by Ms Karua challenging the Kirinyaga gubernatorial results.
Justice Gitari termed the petition against the election of Governor Waiguru as incurable, defective and hopeless.
"The former Gichugu MP's case is 'hopeless, defective and incurable'," the High court judge noted.
The court also found that Ms Karua failed to comply with election petition rules by omitting the election results and dates declared.
[caption caption="President Uhuru Kenyatta, Governor Waiguru and Ms Karua at a past event"][/caption]
Ms Karua, however, announced she will appeal against the ruling and demanded to be supplied with certified copies of proceedings.
- ImagePandemic10 April 2020 - 8:37 am
- Imageangry10 April 2020 - 8:34 am
- Imagesuffering abroad10 April 2020 - 7:13 am
- Imagedo's and donts9 April 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageabort mission9 April 2020 - 7:05 pm
- Imagekind9 April 2020 - 6:40 pm
- Imagebedlam9 April 2020 - 6:31 pm
- ImageBeware9 April 2020 - 7:11 pm
- ImageGolden Heart9 April 2020 - 6:49 pm
- Imageswift9 April 2020 - 6:03 pm
- Imageemergency9 April 2020 - 5:57 pm
- ImageGhost Whispers9 April 2020 - 6:19 pm