Uhuru Told to Abandon US After Trump's Announcement

  • President Uhuru Kenyatta was on Friday advised to cut ties with the United States (US) after President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel.

    Council of Imams and Preachers of Kenya (CIPK) Organising Secretary Sheikh Mohamed Khalifa told the President to stop working with the US if Trump does not reverse his announcement.

    “The US has been championing for peace but Trump’s latest move does the opposite of that. Kenya cannot be allowed to continue engaging with a conflict lover. It is better to have nothing to do with him or his country,” he told the Star.

    [caption caption="Council of Imams and Preachers of Kenya treasurer Sheikh Hassan Omar and organising secretary Sheikh Mohamed Khalifa in their office"][/caption]

    On Wednesday, President Trump announced that the US would recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel even though both Israel and Palestine lay claim to the city as their capital.

    The declaration has been rejected by Palestine stating that the US had abdicated its role as a mediator in the pursuit of a peace deal between the two nations.

    Sheikh Khalifa added that Trump's decision could result in a religious war and eventually to a World War III.

    “Jerusalem is a holy city because Prophets Suleiman, Daudi, Musa, Issa and Mohamed stepped in that city and lived there.

    “Announcing that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel shows Trump is barbaric, loves to see bloodshed and lacks respect. He has a very poor history. It is sad that he slept and woke up to announce that Jerusalem was the capital of Israel out of the blues,” he explained.

    The Sheikh further called on the UN Security Council to intervene before chaos erupts in the Middle East region.

    [caption caption="File Image of President Uhuru Kenyatta"][/caption]

    Earlier in the week, The US reportedly told National Super Alliance (NASA) leader Raila Odinga to call off his swearing-in scheduled for next week.

    Sources indicated that Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary at the US government’s Bureau of African Affairs Donald Yamamoto on Tuesday cautioned that the move would create more problems.