Raila's Speech Excites Mourners at Morgan Tsvangirai's Funeral
NASA leader Raila Odinga on Monday delivered an anticipated speech at the burial of former Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai in Buhera, Zimbabwe.
Tsvangirai, the late leader of the main opposition party, Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), was a personal friend and political ally of Odinga.
The National Super Alliance leader was welcomed by chants of 'Odinga! Odinga!' from the crowd as he began his address.
He hailed Tsvangirai as a true African hero who fought for democracy and social justice.
"In this coffin here lies a great African, a great Zimbabwean and a hero," Odinga stated.
With an upcoming election in Zimbabwe, Odinga told the crowd that it was time to reject sham polls in Africa.
He noted: "Rigged elections will not help Africa. They help to perpetuate dictatorship and mediocrity on our continent."
Odinga further explained that his decision to be sworn in as the People's President on January 30 was meant to be a rejection of sham elections.
"That's the reason why recently I decided to take an oath, clearly, to say this far we go we will not go further down," he declared.
Among those who attended Tsvangirai's funeral were regional leaders, diplomats, Zimbabwe Government officials and trade unionists.
[caption caption="Raila Odinga consoles mourners at Tsvangirai's funeral"][/caption]
- September 22, 2018 - 7:14 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 5:55 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 5:02 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 4:58 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 3:29 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 2:33 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 1:25 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 1:44 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 12:40 pm
- September 22, 2018 - 11:32 am
- September 22, 2018 - 11:02 am
- September 22, 2018 - 9:53 am