Amani National Congress (ANC) party leader Musalia Mudavadi on Sunday called for fresh investigations into the importation of contraband sugar into the country.
In a statement to the press, Mudavadi demanded the formation of a judicial commission of inquiry to take over from ongoing investigations by parliament and Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) detectives.
Mudavadi insisted that the bodies to be investigated are the Public Health Board, the Sugar Directorate, local sugar firms, the Treasury, the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS), the Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) and the Executive.
He further expressed fears that the country may not see substantial progress unless investigations took a more proactive approach.
[caption caption="ANC party leader Musalia Mudavadi"][/caption]
Mudavadi argued that complacency on the part of some government officials had made it impossible to win the war against graft and counterfeit products in the country.
He explained that the judicial inquiry team would be better suited to find out what security measures needed to be put in place to avoid the illegal importations.
Kiambaa Member of Parliament (MP) Paul Koinange asked the government to continue in their fight against corruption and contraband sugar
KEBS Managing Director Charles Ongwae was on Friday arrested in connection with the illegal importation of contaminated sugar.
The bureau boss along with several other KEBS officials are facing charges that include the attempted murder allowing the consumption of poisoned sugar.
[caption caption="Police officers stand guard over tonnes of sugar impounded over claims of contamination with copper and lead"][/caption]
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm