Kenyatta National Hospital on Wednesday evening responded to claims of negligence after a video of a patient's relative complaining went viral on social media.
In a press statement sent to Kenyans.co.ke, the hospital refuted claims on its part after a lady died due to a severe head injury sustained from a road accident.
“Unfortunately, there was no available ICU bed at Kenyatta National Hospital but treatment was initiated and the patient admitted in Ward 5B awaiting availability of an ICU bed,” read the statement.
According to the hospital, the relatives were informed of the unavailability of the bed and were asked to seek help from other hospitals.
The statement further clarified that the relatives of Hannah Njoki, 68 years, declined the advice due to lack of finances to move her to a private hospital.
This comes after KNH was put on the spot by a lady who posted a video claiming that her life was in danger after exposing the hospital.
The lady claimed that the police had been sent to arrest her after she revealed to the hospital Counselor of her possession of photos and video recordings that could incriminate KNH.
She claimed that the hospital officials did not want her to air her grievances forcing her to hide from the police officers.
In a rejoinder, the hospital noted: “We wish to state that the hospital has established mechanisms for receiving feedback from our clients and members of public and we would not prevent anybody from expressing their concern on our services.” responded the statement.
The incident highlights an increase of complaints against the government hospital which has found itself in problems.
The case of a doctor performing a brain surgery on the wrong patient led to the suspension of KNH CEO Lilian Koros earlier in the year.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm