Citizen TV news anchor Waihiga Mwaura won the 2018 BBC World News Komla Dumor Award.
Waihiga triumphed over other journalists from around Africa to emerge the best and also the first male journalist to clinch the Komla Dumor Award after previous winners.
Waihiga expressed his delight at landing the award, describing it as a great honour during an interview with Citizen News.
“I am very excited and humbled to be the 2018 Komla Dumor Winner and the first male to receive this award. I pay tribute to the late Komla Dumor who made a mark on the global media space that will not be forgotten anytime soon,” Waihiga stated.
“I thank God for this amazing opportunity and prestigious award because it also comes with a world-class three-month training stint at the BBC Headquarters in London. I plan to learn all that I can and be a major player in taking Kenyan & African journalism to the next level,” he added.
In 2012, Waihiga clinched the CNN Multichoice Africa award for an impeccable and creative piece he did on Maasai morans (warriors) who took up cricket in the fight against Female Genital Mutilation and the spread of HIV/Aids.
The annual award was created to honour Ghanaian broadcaster and BBC World News presenter Komla Dumor, who died in 2014.
Journalists from across the continent are invited to apply for the award, which aims to uncover and promote talent from Africa.
On its website, the BBC states: “The winner will spend three months at the BBC headquarters in London, gaining skills and experience.”
Waihiga is the host of Friday Night, a prime-time show on Citizen TV, and Day Break, a daily breakfast show on the same channel.
- Beware15 April 2021 - 9:27 am
- cache of weapons15 April 2021 - 8:32 am
- Relief15 April 2021 - 8:25 am
- Implicated15 April 2021 - 7:45 am
- hope15 April 2021 - 7:23 am
- dangerous14 April 2021 - 7:33 pm
- this is why14 April 2021 - 7:24 pm
- Scaling Heights14 April 2021 - 7:44 pm
- Remarkable14 April 2021 - 6:57 pm
- easy money14 April 2021 - 5:07 pm
- good news14 April 2021 - 5:00 pm
- Unpaid rent14 April 2021 - 4:48 pm