President Uhuru Kenyatta has defended the reasoning behind appointing former vice president Moody Awori to the Sports, Art and Social Development Fund.
He was speaking at the KCB Foundation 2jiajiri Youth Empowerment Program at the Safaricom Indoor Arena in Kasarani when he tried to make people understand his choice of appointment.
He explained that he would rather have the veteran politician, in order to safeguard the money that will be collected by the fund, than appoint a younger person who would plunder the money.
He highlighted the runaway corruption that has marred his administration and that he did not wish the same for the body that will be in charge of billions which will be paid by betting companies.
“Ukiona vile watu wanaiba pesa (Look at the way people are plundering government resources), and this is money that we passed the other day because we want to see how we can use this money to support us for our health programs, for our sports programs, for our health programs, and these are programs that will benefit you,” stated Uhuru.
He continued, “Halafu tuseme tupatie kijana? Mimi afadhali nikae na huyo mzee achunge hiyo pesa itumike vile inatakikana (And then we say that we appoint a young person? I’d rather stay with the old man to make sure the money is utilised for the right manner).”
He concluded by adding, “Watu waniwache mimi sitaki mambo mingi (People should leave me alone, I don't want problems).”
Moody’s appointment had elicited mixed reactions among netizens with many feeling that he was too old for the job.
The former VP will work alongside five Principal Secretaries from the Ministries of Education, Arts, Health, National Treasury and Sports.
The board will be required to manage funds set aside for Sports, Arts and Social development then prepare and submit quarterly reports to the Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm
- Imagepeacemakers24 February 2020 - 12:30 pm