Tycoon Humphrey Kariuki suffered a huge blow after his accounts were frozen over suspected tax fraud amounting to billions of shillings.
On Monday, the three of his company’s bank accounts were frozen.
The 11 accounts were scattered in seven banks.
Anti-corruption judge John Onyiego preserved the funds of Africa Spirits Limited (ASL), WOW Beverages and Wines of World Limited.
Onyiego directed the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) to serve the companies with the court documents within three days.
KRA sued the three companies after discovering that ASL had been making supplies of alcoholic beverages fixed with counterfeit excise stamps, hence denying them Ksh3 billion in revenue.
“ASL in the cause of carrying out its business fraudulently denied us collection of colossal amounts of taxes which we intend to demand. Preliminary investigations indicate tax evasion of up to Sh3 billion,” the court documents read.
The court orders prohibited the transfer, withdrawal or disposal or dealing with money in the said accounts, pending hearing and determination of the case.
KRA, through lawyer Kenneth Kirugi, told the court that if the companies’ funds are not preserved, it’s highly likely that the tax recovery will be frustrated by withdrawal of money, transfer or putting it out of reach.
The case will be heard on March 8.alcohol corruption suspect tax evasion
- Explained25 March 2023 - 7:22 pm
- Mesmerising25 March 2023 - 7:14 pm
- NOTICE25 March 2023 - 7:11 pm
- Mystery25 March 2023 - 6:42 pm
- EXPLAINED25 March 2023 - 6:50 pm
- Did you know?25 March 2023 - 6:07 pm
- Debunked25 March 2023 - 5:36 pm
- Efficiency25 March 2023 - 5:51 pm
- Bizarre25 March 2023 - 5:16 pm
- adventure25 March 2023 - 4:35 pm
- Green Light25 March 2023 - 4:14 pm
- Apprehended25 March 2023 - 3:57 pm