Embakasi East Member of Parliament (MP), Paul Ongili alias Babu Owino, was infuriated during a heated parliamentary session held on Wednesday evening.
The Kenya Airport Workers Union (KAWU) strike formed the basis of the highly emotional debate, with some members stating that it was not a matter to be discussed in parliament.
A visibly angered Babu, then went on to deliver a vocal statement, in which he berated Sirisia MP and Jubilee party member, John Waluke, for his stand on the issue.
“Lastly I'd like you to advise the academic dwarf, honourable Waluke to desist from abusing an intellectual like me,” Babu retorted.
He was clear in his support for the KAWU strike, urging them to picket on a daily basis until their concerns were heard and addressed.
He asserted that he was willing to lead the daily protests alongside his constituents until their grievances were addressed.
“I will lead demonstrations daily to ensure Kenya Airways (KQ) does not take over the Kenya Airports Authority (KAA). This was just the beginning. There is no way a company that makes losses can take operations of one that is doing well,” stated the firebrand parliamentarian.
His remarks referenced the highly contentious plans by the national airline to takeover KAA, the autonomous body charged with the responsibility of providing and managing all airports in Kenya.
KAWU members grounded all flights for the larger part of Wednesday, following their strike that was eventually broken up by the deployment of anti-riot police, leaving several injured.
The union’s Secretary General, Moses Ndiema, was arrested following the strike, a fact which Babu condemned in his address.
He termed it as illegal and unconstitutional, adding that he was actively seeking to engage the relevant authorities including Transport CS James Macharia, in pursuit of recourse.
Here is the video of the Embakasi East MP during the heated parliamentary debate.
- Imageirate22 February 2020 - 8:50 pm
- ImageStay Away!22 February 2020 - 8:40 pm
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm