Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi has found himself in trouble after he was summoned by the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) over alleged hate speech.
Sudi was asked to present himself and explain the statements he made on March 30.
"Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi summoned by NCIC's Investigation Officers. He's appearing at Kilimani Sub County Criminal Investigations Officer's office on 11/04/2019. This is following the hateful utterances he made on March 30, 2019, at Cheptiret, Uasin Gishu County," NCIC reported on its Twitter page.
The legislator took to social media to confirm he had indeed received the summons and obeyed them.
“I am already here at National Cohesion and Integration Commission headquarters after I was summoned to appear before the commission. I guess I am being called upon to clarify my recent comments I made about a certain community,” Sudi wrote on social media.
The firebrand politician, in the recent past, has raised controversies after making remarks that were considered to undermine peaceful coexistence in the country.
In a video that was making rounds online, Sudi was heard claiming that only two tribes in Kenya were required to make peace.
The phrase that is believed to have landed the controversial MP in trouble was one where he claimed that “other tribes can be controlled as they are not fighters”.
Some Kalenjin Members of Parliament, led by Ainabkoi MP William Chepkut, came out to condemn the utterances made by Sudi reiterating that he was not speaking on behalf of their community.
Sudi was later let off with a warning.
The NCIC is a constitutional commission that has been mandated to monitor issues that are likely to threaten the peaceful coexistence of Kenyans.
- update16 January 2021 - 3:13 pm
- nairobbery16 January 2021 - 3:12 pm
- notice16 January 2021 - 2:26 pm
- Justice corridors16 January 2021 - 1:46 pm
- rogue riders16 January 2021 - 1:11 pm
- Afro Cinema!16 January 2021 - 12:17 pm
- details16 January 2021 - 12:29 pm
- crossing the line?16 January 2021 - 12:47 pm
- talented16 January 2021 - 11:50 am
- stranded16 January 2021 - 11:40 am
- new year new job16 January 2021 - 11:21 am
- Tough Year16 January 2021 - 11:05 am