Education CS Professor George Magoha has taken Universities to task over the new irrelevant courses.
Speaking during the launch of university placements by KUCCPS at the Catholic University on Monday, the CS decried the over 100 new courses that he termed irrelevant to our economy.
“Is it that we have forgotten that we are scholars and we have just become traders,” the CS questioned.
He went ahead to reveal that the courses had received zero applications from the potential students and that was worrying trend.
Professor Magoha also claimed to have received requests from over 10 politicians asking him to put up a University in their area.
“In the short time I've been in the Ministry, the requests for new universities from politicians are over 10, but a politician is not going to teach me where a University should be,” Magoha added.
The Former University of Nairobi VC also questioned why some Universities offered courses that are not their specialty.
Magoha passed the button to the Universities management by stating that they are the ones to deal with the crisis in the sector.
This comes at a time when the Council for University Education (CUE) raised concerns that over 10,000 students in universities could be pursuing bogus courses.
According to the KUCCPS, the CUE had not approved some popular courses undertaken by students in Kenyan Universities.
Below is a video of CS Magoha speaking courtesy of K24
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm
- ImageBy the Bullet27 February 2020 - 1:43 pm
- Imagebig brother27 February 2020 - 1:46 pm
- ImageGive Up27 February 2020 - 1:03 pm