The Central Bank of Kenya Governor Patrick Njoroge during the Madaraka Day celebrations on Saturday, announced the abolishment of all current Ksh1000 banknotes.
In his speech after President Uhuru Kenyatta, Njoroge stated, "We have launched new banknotes in accordance with the constitution.
"We are withdrawing all the older ksh1000 banknotes. The new banknotes will be immune to corruption.
"Old generation one-thousand shilling banknotes will need to be exchanged by October 1, 2019, after which they cease to be legal tender," read part of the statement Njoroge.
Uhuru explained that the abolishment would aid the government in its fight against corruption.
"In the recent past, I have refrained from constant reference to our war on corruption. This is not a waning of determination, but rather, a clear indication of the confidence and trust that I have in our investigation and prosecution agencies," he stated.
The CBK governor also launched new era banknotes during the event which are set to bear new features including the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC).
They will also have images of the big five animals; the lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo.
Through a Gazette notice, Njoroge further explained that the new banknotes were issued on May 31, 2019 and are already in circulation.
"The Central Bank of Kenya has now completed the process of producing the new-generation banknotes in accordance with the Constitution all applicable laws.
"I can confirm that the new-generation banknotes were issued on May 31, 2019 by a gazette notice. They are now legal tenders," he explained.corruption fight
- Order5 December 2022 - 7:33 pm
- Convicted5 December 2022 - 5:34 pm
- Unraveled5 December 2022 - 4:58 pm
- On the spot5 December 2022 - 5:34 pm
- Ordeal5 December 2022 - 7:03 pm
- Nabbed5 December 2022 - 3:43 pm
- Reunion5 December 2022 - 6:20 pm
- Transition5 December 2022 - 3:15 pm
- tragic5 December 2022 - 2:55 pm
- Commonwealth5 December 2022 - 2:59 pm
- Justice5 December 2022 - 2:26 pm
- The Law is Clear5 December 2022 - 4:16 pm