A judge, on Wednesday, September 18, gave Italian firm CMC Di Ravena's bosses a 14-day-ultimatum to appear before the high court.
The directive came following President Uhuru Kenyatta orders for the cancellation of the Kimwarer dam project citing its unviability.
According to People Daily, Justice Mumbi Ngugi ordered the directors to appear before in court and plead to charges relating to the dams' scandal whose value was pegged at Ksh51 billion.
The judge further explained that a corporation could only be represented in court by an officer of the organisation, ordinarily a director.
“Taking into account the need to effectively deal with corruption matters and hopefully deter corruption, it is necessary to have a corporation appear and plea be taken by its directors,” she stated.
The bosses are facing a conspiracy to defraud the Kenyan government over ksh51 billion.
They are also accused of intentionally receiving money to the tune of Ksh7.6 billion from the National Treasury knowing that it was fraudulently acquired.
Uhuru had, earlier that day, ordered for the cancellation of the Kimwarer project after it was found to be overpriced and economically unviable.
He also ordered the immediate commencement of the implementation of the Arror Multi-purpose Dam project with the new design components and cost rationalization plan as developed by a technical committee tasked to review the projects.
In a report presented to the president by the committee chaired by Principal Secretary for Infrastructure, Professor Paul Maringa and comprising of Quantity Surveyor Julius Matu, Eng Benjamin Mwangi and Eng John Muiruri, the Kimwarer dam project was found to be overpriced.
- in dire need26 November 2020 - 12:47 pm
- Upgrade26 November 2020 - 12:37 pm
- Speak out26 November 2020 - 12:23 pm
- fulfilled wish26 November 2020 - 11:19 am
- Armed client26 November 2020 - 11:17 am
- Tough Times26 November 2020 - 10:45 am
- Drama26 November 2020 - 12:12 pm
- Strict Measures26 November 2020 - 9:53 am
- Keep off26 November 2020 - 10:12 am
- snubbed?26 November 2020 - 9:29 am
- breaks silence26 November 2020 - 8:48 am
- savings26 November 2020 - 9:09 am