Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB) came up with strict rules to curb the menace involving church donations, K24 Digital reported on Saturday, October 5.
The church leaders were speaking at the Catholic National Shrine in Subukia, Nakuru County, where they held their annual National Prayer Day.
They mentioned that they had come up with stringent measures to ensure that donations made to their churches were done appropriately.
KCCB Chairperson Archbishop Phili Anyolo revealed that donations made by politicians and well-wishers would only be made via banks or mobile money transfer.
Any cash donations would therefore not be accepted by because it would be difficult to account for it.
Anyolo also stressed that all bishops would be required to make a record of every donation made into their churches.
All ongoing projects would also be included in the records, with clergymen being tasked with documenting all work done by the church.
Well-wishers' with gifts of more than Ksh 50,000 would need to notify the church asking for permission and direction on how to go about it.
The bishops also banned all political activities on the pulpit, citing that the church was a place of worship and not a campaign platform.
The Daily Nation on August 17, 2019, reported leadership wrangles at Nyambimwa Seventh Day Church in Bonchari Constituency, Kisii County that was motivated by money.
Members of the congregation told the publication that their leaders were being promoted by how much money they managed to siphon from the church.
“Today, the performance of the pastor was not about the soul but how much you surrender to the conference,” noted Joshua Square, a member of Nyabimwa SDA church.
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm
- Imagethe architect22 February 2020 - 1:01 pm
- ImagePower play22 February 2020 - 11:21 am