The government on Monday, October 7, launched a new plan to retrieve the bodies of the two victims - 35-year-old Mariam Kighenda and her four-year-old daughter Amanda Muthe - who perished following the Likoni Ferry tragedy on September 29, 2019.
Kenya navy official, Colonel Lawrence Gituma laid out a new plan to boost their chances of retrieving the victims' bodies stuck under the Indian Ocean for over a week.
"The strategy we are deploying now relies on the new equipment before sending the human beings for verification down there. The government got us new equipment," he stated while speaking to The Standard.
He went on to reveal that the equipment included Advanced System Remote Operated Cameras, which would be used to canvass the deepest parts of the harbour in a bid to help the divers zero-in on the exact location of the wreckage.
According to reports, the rescuers were given another major boost as elite divers from South Africa arrived in the country and were gearing up to take the plunge.
Mombasa Governor, Hassan Joho had on October 2, given Ksh2 million to the family of Likoni Channel tragedy victims to hire the deep-sea diving experts.
8 divers, as well as members of the Indian Naval forces, joined the operation to retrieve bodies, The Daily Nation reported.
However, all rescue operations were put on hold after four huge Indian Airforce aircraft carriers made their way through the channel.
Kenya Ferry Services Chairman, Dan Mwanzo explained the need to halt all diving operations, until the Indians had docked.
"We are late because of the Indian Airforce who had to put their big four ships in order. They have come for a visit and to do some exercise. However, we are going to embark on our operations anytime soon from now" he had stated.
- Imagegreenlight10 April 2020 - 9:11 am
- ImagePandemic10 April 2020 - 8:37 am
- Imageangry10 April 2020 - 8:34 am
- Imagesuffering abroad10 April 2020 - 7:13 am
- Imagedo's and donts9 April 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageabort mission9 April 2020 - 7:05 pm
- Imagekind9 April 2020 - 6:40 pm
- Imagebedlam9 April 2020 - 6:31 pm
- ImageBeware9 April 2020 - 7:11 pm
- ImageGolden Heart9 April 2020 - 6:49 pm
- Imageswift9 April 2020 - 6:03 pm
- Imageemergency9 April 2020 - 5:57 pm