Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen found himself smack in the middle of an all-out war with lawyer Donald Kipkorir after he faulted Eliud Kipchoge over threatening to sue NRG Radio over the use of his image against his consent.
Weighing in on the decision that had caused a flood of opinions from all over the country, Murkomen urged Kipchoge to reconsider the decision, stating that it was only bound to put a bad rap to his celebrated name.
"I would advise Eliud Kipchoge against unnecessary legal battles with entities like the said radio station who are merely excited with his fete," he wrote.
He further clarified that though Kipchoge had every right to raise the concerns, he should have done it in a different manner.
"Concerns raised shouldn’t have been in the form of legal threats. A phone call is enough. He was terribly misled," he regretted.
His sentiments, however, struck the wrong chord with lawyer Kipkorir, who is representing Kipchoge in the controversial suit, and he immediately took the war to a personal level.
"My Senator, let's have professional respect. If my client thought you are a better lawyer than me, he would have come to you. Let’s operate on our different lanes!" he warned.
Their row attracted an audience who took sides, with some urging Kipchoge to rescind his decision and others asking him to go ahead with the suit.
"Kipchoge is a brand ambassador for Nike, NM, I guess, and Isuzu East Africa. They have binding contracts which pay him a lot. If he lets his brand be misused, then he will be worthless. You don't understand matters brand it seems sir," a Twitter user told Murkomen.
"You are on the money senator. The best advise he can get," another supported his stance.
Their tiff attracted lawyer Ahmednassir Abdullahi, who tried to encourage a sane discussion between the two warring lawyers.
"Senator Murkomen spoke politely and brotherly. Donald replies forcefully and violently. Different types of lawyers. Both are entitled to their views and style. Both are great lawyers," he wrote.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm
- Imagepeacemakers24 February 2020 - 12:30 pm