President Uhuru Kenyatta, on Sunday, October 20, presented marathoner Eliud Kipchoge with Elder of the Order of the Golden Heart (EGH).
Speaking at the Mama Ngina Waterfront where the Mashujaa Day celebration was held, the president lauded Kipchoge for his efforts.
He urged Kenyans to borrow a leaf from the 34-year-old athlete who made history on Saturday, October 12, after running a marathon in less than two hours.
"Eliud Kipchoge who is present with us has also inspired the word that no human effort is. He is the greatest of our time and our duty is to emulate his enviable level of discipline and determination in our pursuit for a better Kenya for all.
"His latest conquest will be a reminder that we can achieve the very best as individuals and collectively as a nation," Uhuru stated.
The president then invited Kipchoge the podium where he bestowed the award.
The award comes barely a week after the Olympic marathoner was shortlisted for a top athletics award.
Kipchoge was nominated among ten male athletes in the running for the IAAF Male Athlete of the Year Award.
He will be looking to retain the title he won in 2018.
The voting process for the 2019 World Athletes of the Year will culminate in the World Athletics Awards 2019 in Monaco on Saturday, November 23, organised by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
Watch the video below:
- surrender12 August 2020 - 8:18 pm
- road carnage12 August 2020 - 8:14 pm
- boost12 August 2020 - 7:11 pm
- painful12 August 2020 - 7:10 pm
- no more patience12 August 2020 - 6:41 pm
- all angles12 August 2020 - 6:23 pm
- Nabbed12 August 2020 - 5:56 pm
- big man bazu12 August 2020 - 6:09 pm
- Gikomba Chaos12 August 2020 - 5:33 pm
- pimp my ride12 August 2020 - 4:50 pm
- Strength of a Woman12 August 2020 - 4:57 pm
- loading12 August 2020 - 3:58 pm