President Uhuru Kenyatta, on Sunday, October 20, presented marathoner Eliud Kipchoge with Elder of the Order of the Golden Heart (EGH).
Speaking at the Mama Ngina Waterfront where the Mashujaa Day celebration was held, the president lauded Kipchoge for his efforts.
He urged Kenyans to borrow a leaf from the 34-year-old athlete who made history on Saturday, October 12, after running a marathon in less than two hours.
"Eliud Kipchoge who is present with us has also inspired the word that no human effort is. He is the greatest of our time and our duty is to emulate his enviable level of discipline and determination in our pursuit for a better Kenya for all.
"His latest conquest will be a reminder that we can achieve the very best as individuals and collectively as a nation," Uhuru stated.
The president then invited Kipchoge the podium where he bestowed the award.
The award comes barely a week after the Olympic marathoner was shortlisted for a top athletics award.
Kipchoge was nominated among ten male athletes in the running for the IAAF Male Athlete of the Year Award.
He will be looking to retain the title he won in 2018.
The voting process for the 2019 World Athletes of the Year will culminate in the World Athletics Awards 2019 in Monaco on Saturday, November 23, organised by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
Watch the video below:
- Unfortunate25 October 2020 - 5:04 pm
- Fiery Ruto25 October 2020 - 4:14 pm
- Enlighten25 October 2020 - 3:14 pm
- ticking time-bomb25 October 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Our Journey25 October 2020 - 2:40 pm
- road carnage25 October 2020 - 2:07 pm
- grisly25 October 2020 - 12:16 pm
- Gruesome25 October 2020 - 11:33 am
- Not Here25 October 2020 - 11:15 am
- puzzle25 October 2020 - 11:08 am
- Power Struggle25 October 2020 - 10:42 am
- partnerships25 October 2020 - 10:28 am