Murang'a Town residents endured Mashujaa Day night in the dark after a supermarket caught fire on Sunday night, October 20 destroying property worth millions.
Kameme TV reported that fire broke out at the Maathai Supermarket in Murang'a at around 11 p.m. on Sunday night.
Efforts to put out the inferno were futile as the fire went on for about six hours since it broke out.
In a video posted by the local TV station, raging flames are seen consuming the entire establishment as helpless onlookers watched.
The Daily Nation reported that th fire started on the first floor of the building but quickly engulfed the property with only one fire engine deployed to fight the inferno.
Fire engines from the neighbouring Kiambu and Kirinyaga Counties were reportedly dispatched to help even as the power supply in the area was cut off.
The fire, however, consumed the entire building but efforts to prevent it from spreading to nearby buildings were successful through the collaborative effort of the county response team, Kenya Red Cross, well-wishers, and the police.
The incident came barely two months after an August 5, fire that broke out at around 2.30 am gutted down another Mathai Supermarket branch in Ruiru, Kiambu County.
Ruiru residents blamed the huge loss on the slow response from the fire department.
Most goods in the establishment were reduced to ashes as efforts to fight the blaze were hampered by water shortage.
Here's a video.
- Poked Holes8 August 2020 - 8:19 am
- nabbed8 August 2020 - 7:37 am
- Long Wait8 August 2020 - 7:16 am
- new boss in town7 August 2020 - 8:07 pm
- no way7 August 2020 - 6:18 pm
- glued to the screen7 August 2020 - 4:57 pm
- double tragedy7 August 2020 - 4:33 pm
- big strides7 August 2020 - 4:14 pm
- bold7 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- revolutionary7 August 2020 - 3:31 pm
- World's First7 August 2020 - 3:40 pm
- new beginnings7 August 2020 - 2:23 pm