Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho made international news after he received a coveted award.
People Daily reported that the governor scooped the Transformational Leadership Award in the African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA).
His win came alongside renowned musician Esther Akoth, popularly known as Akothee who was feted as the best female artist in East Africa in the event held at Dallas, Texas in the US.
In the award ceremony, Citizen TV's Mseto East Africa show host Willy Mtuva was also recognised as the radio/TV personality of the year.
On Thursday, October 24, Joho's county beat several other world cities to host an international forum.
Mombasa City was announced the host the International Desalination Association (IDA) congress expected to take place in October 2021, county communications representative Richard Chacha confirmed to Kenyans.co.ke.
Some of the 14 cities that had presented bids in hosting the project included Barcelona, Daegu, Calgary, Cape Town, Chennai, Durban, Hyderabad, Malta, Manchester.
The city emerged as a finalist alongside three others; Melbourne and Sydney in Australia and Daegu in Korea.
Mombasa became the first African city to host the conference that dates back to 1985 having been held in 17 cities across the world.
Mombasa emerged victorious largely owing to its water alienation plans with two desalination plants expected to be set up in Shanzu and Likoni by 2021.
- opportunities11 July 2020 - 12:56 pm
- lucky escape11 July 2020 - 1:03 pm
- Spotted11 July 2020 - 12:45 pm
- good news11 July 2020 - 12:00 pm
- R.I.P11 July 2020 - 11:17 am
- heartless11 July 2020 - 10:44 am
- Justice?11 July 2020 - 10:14 am
- Reconciled11 July 2020 - 9:26 am
- turbulent times11 July 2020 - 9:00 am
- Tactical11 July 2020 - 7:57 am
- rip11 July 2020 - 7:29 am
- Tragedy11 July 2020 - 7:05 am