Ole Kaparo Sues Journalist For Fraud

  • The outgoing National Cohesion and Integration Commission boss Francis ole Kaparo sued a writer for allegedly defrauding him.

    Samuel Ochieng Okello pleaded not guilty to one account of obtaining money by false pretence while appearing before a Nairobi court on Monday, November 19.

    According to court documents obtained by K24 Digital, Okelo was accused of failing to honour an agreement between himself and Kaparo.

    Samuel Okelo appears in a Nairobi court on Monday, November 19.

    The two were said to have entered into an agreement in which the writer was to publish the biography of the former National Assembly speaker titled Order! Order! Order!

    The suspect was accused of obtaining Ksh2.7 million from Kaparo between February 17, 2017, and February 8, 2018, in Nairobi County.

    While representing Okelo, lawyer David Ayuo told the court that his client was unable to deliver as promised, after he was faced by a family emergency that needed urgent and lengthy attention.

    Ayuo informed the court that Okelo's father fell ill and as the only son in the family, the suspect was forced to take care of his father until his death.

    In his defence, the accused also told the court that the books were ready, in a container in Mombasa awaiting clearance from customs officials.

    Okelo was granted a cash bail of Ksh 200,000 or a bond of Ksh 500,000 by Nairobi Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi pending trial.

    Kaparo is the longest ever serving Speaker of the National Assembly of Kenya, having served from1993 - 2008. Before then, he previously served as Minister for Labour 1990 -1991, Minister for Industry 1991-1993, Assistant Minister for National Guidance and Political Affairs 1988-1989, Assistant minister for Supplies and Marketing 1989-1990.

    Milimani court Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi at the court on Tuesday, September 12.
    death suspect