Kajiado Governor Joseph ole Lenku, on Thursday, December 5, opened up on having to share a hotel room in Loitoktok, Kajiado with two of his ministers.
The county head was keeping in line with his recently announced austerity measures.
According to KBC, the governor had taken members of his Cabinet and chief officers to the retreat as his first step in proving that they could do without over-the-top spending.
The government officials were also responsible for cleaning up after themselves as there was no room service at the campsite.
They arrived at the camping site on Monday, December 2, having travelled using a public service vehicle, dumping the heavily criticized government-issued fuel guzzlers.
Lenku, in his new move to curb spending within his county, outlawed official retreats, and meetings in expensive hotels.
He explained that expenditure by county government officials had pushed the annual budget over and above its annual limits, thereby, justifying his new stringent measures.
According to the county boss, they had so far saved millions that would have otherwise been wasted under the previous set up.
Kajiado County currently has a revenue target of Ksh2 billion, which the governor stated would be sufficient to cover the needs of the county residents as well as improve on service delivery.
The extreme measures are expected to cut the county government expenses by at least 10 per cent.
- Done Deal10 August 2020 - 7:17 pm
- lovebirds10 August 2020 - 6:36 pm
- New Horizons10 August 2020 - 6:05 pm
- close shave10 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- watch out10 August 2020 - 5:12 pm
- City Tour10 August 2020 - 5:08 pm
- Anticipated Return10 August 2020 - 4:02 pm
- stranded10 August 2020 - 2:49 pm
- latest10 August 2020 - 2:27 pm
- furious10 August 2020 - 1:29 pm
- Ultimatums10 August 2020 - 1:09 pm
- By a Whisker10 August 2020 - 1:21 pm