An estimated 1,200 students could lack classrooms to go back to when schools re-open during the second week of January due to the destruction of classrooms and other facilities by mudslides.
Moi Girls Schools Kapsowar has had 10 of its classrooms and three of its laboratories submerged in mud as a result of the heavy rains that hit various parts of the country during October 2019.
According to a report by The Standard, Moi Girls School principal, Hellen Mabese, indicated the remaining structures in the school were not safe for students and appealled to the authorities to assist in rebuilding the institution that also suffered similar devastation in 2017.
''We have been grappling with landslides for some time now. The latest one was scary. The Ministry of Public Works came and asked us to remove the soil but we cannot do so without enough funds."
Mabese claims that in order for the school to be rebuilt and the structures made safe for students then a sum of Ksh48 million would be required.
''We urgently need about Ksh48 million for construction of gabions and classrooms,'' she is quoted in the publication.
The Kenya News Agency in May 25, 2018, reported that a mudslide in 2017 saw the school administration put up stone pitches along its edges, however, the job had not properly been done.
Evans Onyancha, Marakwet West Sub-county Education Director, was quoted as saying that in the event that the rains did not subside soon, the school would be completely washed away.
''The situation is dire. If the rains do not subside soon, the entire school will be washed away.''
- Final Verdict26 September 2022 - 3:53 pm
- Solutions26 September 2022 - 3:48 pm
- Take Note26 September 2022 - 3:00 pm
- Insecurity26 September 2022 - 2:49 pm
- Inspiring26 September 2022 - 2:32 pm
- chaos26 September 2022 - 12:13 pm
- New Responsibility26 September 2022 - 12:17 pm
- Remarkable26 September 2022 - 1:56 pm
- Reprieve26 September 2022 - 11:30 am
- The Truth26 September 2022 - 10:48 am
- Directive26 September 2022 - 10:21 am
- tragedy26 September 2022 - 8:34 am