Coast Regional Police Commander, Rashid Yakub, has spoken out following his withdrawal of assault charges against Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko on Tuesday, January 21.
Yakub had accused the governor of kicking him on the thigh during his arrest at Ikanga airstrip in Voi.
While withdawing the charges, Yakub indicated that his 'conscience had directed him to forgive and forget.'
In a report published by People Daily on Wednesday, January 22, the senior officer added that he had not had any peace since the case was taken to court.
"I was not compromised by Sonko, I don't know him and I have never met him. I am a Muslim and I don't harbour grudges. He assaulted me but I decided to move on. Even the Bible asks Christians to forgive those who wrong them," he told the publication.
He further stated that he had not been pressurised to drop the charges against the governor.
"Sometimes we can act out of anger and Sonko and I are not different. My heart is clean after immense soul searching, I decided to let go the case," he stated.
Senior Resident Magistrate Fredrick Nyakundi is set to make the ruling on the matter on Wednesday, January 22, at at the Voi Law Courts.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke on Tuesday, January 21, Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji stated that he was more concerned with the governor's corruption case.
Sonko is facing graft related charges related to the irregular awarding of garbage collection tenders amounting to over Ksh 357 million.
"I am not in Nairobi right now. I am majorly concerned with Sonko's corruption case. When it comes to corruption, we shall deal with Sonko squarely.
"For the assault case, maybe the teams involved reached an agreement and agreed to withdraw the charges," he concluded.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm