Embakasi East lawmaker Babu Owino was on Monday, January 27, granted a cash bail of Ksh10 million in his attempted murder case.
The amount is to be paid in four installments over a four month period.
Babu is to be released from Industrial Area Remand Prison after paying the first installment of Ksh2.5 million.
Justice Francis Andayi directed that the bail paid by Babu be used to cater for the treatment of Felix Orinda aka DJ Evolve who was the victim of a shooting at B-Club Nairobi on Friday, January 17.
"The family has conceded that they are unable to meet this kind of treatment. There is no other person who has indicated that he is able to meet this kind of treatment.
"Detaining the accused person would be tantamount to pulling back the treatment this young man is receiving," Andayi explained his thought process before arriving at the decision to grant Babu bail.
Sitting at the Milimani Law Courts, Andayi further directed that the lawmaker deposits his passport with the court.
The hearing had been adjourned earlier in the day as Justice Francis Andayi ordered police officers to remove rowdy youth who caused a disruption in the courtroom.
The family of the DJ had opposed Babu's release on bond.
As part of his bail terms, the lawmaker was also directed not to drink alcohol or use any narcotics in public.
"The accused person is hereby prohibited from indulging in taking any form of alcoholic drink or narcotic drug or a substance classified as such drug in a public establishment," Andayi ordered.
In addition, he was prevented from discussing the case with the media.
Among the charges preferred against Babu is attempting to unlawfully end the life of Orinda. Attempted murder carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm
- Imagethe architect22 February 2020 - 1:01 pm
- ImagePower play22 February 2020 - 11:21 am