Accessing job opportunities in government institutions has been made easier as the Public Service Commission of Kenya (PSCK) tasked with human resource management in the government set up a portal for easy application.
Rather than waiting on advertisements in the newspapers, the vacancies are made available online with an easy means of applying. The preferred Internet Browser for this system is Mozilla Firefox.
Vacancies that arise in National and county governments are uploaded on the portal and opened for anyone qualified to apply.
Here is the process of applying for a vacancy in the PSCK portal
Register an account on PSCK website:
All first-time users of the Online Recruitment and Selection system are required to register by providing:
ID / Passport Number
current Email address
a password to access the system
How to reset your password
In event that you forget the password, click the "Forgot Password" link and provide the email you had used to register.
A link will be sent to the email address to enable you to reset your password.
Users who had registered in the previous version of this system are required to register afresh by providing ID/Passport number, surname, email address, and a password.
How to apply for a job in the PSCK portal
1. It is important to note that one can only apply for jobs that have been advertised and labeled as open.
2. To apply for any advertised job or internship opportunities, log into the system using the ID / Passport Number and the Password created.
3. Once you identify the job you want to apply for, you will be required to fill in your details in an online form.
All fields are mandatory:
- Personal Details - name, title, date of birth, ID number, PIN number, gender, nationality, ethnicity, and location. Also, you must provide your contact information including, your telephone/mobile number, postal address, and email address.
- Qualifications: Qualifications (Starting with the Highest)
- Experience: Employment Details - where applicable (starting with the current or most recent)
- Current Registration/Membership to Professional Bodies
- Other courses: Relevant Courses and Training attended Lasting not Less than One (1) Week
- Referees: Only Two (2) referees are required.
- Other details: Here you indicate the languages you are proficient as well as a state if you have you ever been convicted of any criminal offenses or a subject of a probation order. Also, disclose if have you ever been dismissed or otherwise removed from employment.
4. Once you are satisfied with your job application go to submit application tab and submit your application
5. Applicant MUST ensure that all the relevant information is provided before submitting the application as incomplete applications will not be considered.
6. Applicants are advised to print and keep a copy of the Feedback Report (application summary) by clicking on the Report tab or Application Summary link on the Application Menu.
The advantage of the online application is the system gives you an option to edit your information. If you made a mistake, go back and enter your public service commission login information at any time before the Advert Closure Date.
Applying for a PSCK Vacancy offline
You can also apply for a vacancy offline by downloading the application form on the PSCK website.
Print the document and fill it in BLOCK letters.
The application has thirteen sections that must all be filled.
After filling the form, you can submit it through postal service. Submit it to: The Secretary, Public Service Commission. P.O. BOX 30095, 00100 NAIROBI, Kenya.
You should not attach copies of certificates and testimonials to the form.
Points to note when applying
Can I amend my application after saving
The online recruitment and selection system allows applicants to amend/revisit their application(s) at any time before the advert closure date.
What is the Penalty for submitting wrong details
Section 100(4) of the Public Service Commission Act 2017 provides that a person who gives false or misleading information to the Commission is, on conviction, liable to a fine not exceeding Kshs. 200,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or to both such fine and imprisonment.
Once the closure date for applications, the PSCK shortlists successful candidates, and if you are among those who are shortlisted you should be prepared for an interview which due to the Covid-19 pandemic may be conducted online.
Here are the instructions for Online Video Interviews
Good online interview experience shall depend on the nature of devices and internet bandwidth available. On its part, the Commission shall ensure availability of stable internet but for a successful interview, the candidate shall be expected to:
Use a smart device i.e. a smartphone, tablet, or laptop with a tested functional front camera and good audio. In the event that a desktop is used, ensure that desktop the audio is working and a webcam installed.
Set your device in time and ensure that there is nobody else in the room when the interview is going on
Use headphone where possible
Download and install the Cisco Webex Meetings application from:
App Store if using an Apple iPhone or iPad Play Store if using an Android Phone or Tablet, an Apple or Windows Laptop
Have access to reliable Internet connectivity during the interview duration (you may use strong Wi-Fi or sufficient internet bundles)
Arrange to be in a sufficiently lit and quiet place away from background noise that may hinder the progress of the interview. Always face the direction of the light source in case you are seated next to a window.
Access the browser in your device and type the address received from the Commission five (5) minutes to the scheduled interview time.
Allow the meeting to use the Application you downloaded if you are using a laptop or click on “join via the installed app” if you are using a phone
Fill in your Surname, ID number, and email address before clicking the next button
Use your ID Number, First Name and Surname as your username. e.g. if your surname is Mr. John Smith and ID Number is 123456, then you are advised to log in as 123456 John Smith
Click on the Green Button with the words “Join Meeting” and this takes you straight into a Personal Meeting Room where you will wait until someone admits you to meeting.
Ensure that you start your video once admitted to join the interview
Position your Camera so that you are quite visible throughout the interview duration
Once your interview is over, you should click on the red “X” mark and choose the “Leave Meeting” option
In case of inquiries here are the PSCK contacts:
Send an email to email@example.com. Please include your ID /Passport Number and full name.
Call the following numbers: Landline: +254 (020) 2223901, 2227471
Mobile: +254-724-253807, +254-735-800282