Residents of Nakuru were left puzzled after 'black rain' pounded various parts of the county on Friday, July 24, sparking a number of conspiracy theories.
The rain appeared to be contaminated by charcoal and looked clear when being poured but when left still in a bucket, it revealed the dark colour.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Paul Kariuki a news correspondent who resides in Engashura area shared details of the mysterious rain.A woman showing water harvested from the 'black rain' that pounded Nakuru on Friday 24 July 2020.
"The rain fell during the day on Friday. Residents suspect that it was as a result of the works ongoing in the Menengai Crater.
"However, works have started a long time ago and have not experienced this before, it is basically just water but has a black appearance," explained Kariuki.
According to Kariuki it also rained the following day, on Saturday, but it did not have the black appearance that was witnessed on Friday by residents.
The 'black rain' were reported in a number of areas in Nakuru with residents as far as Njoro in Nakuru Country also reporting the rare phenomenon.
Kariuki noted that such an instance has never been reported before in the area with residents left puzzled over the cause.
The coloured water did not have any odour or strange taste with residents continuing to use it for domestic purposes.
Contamination from dirty rooftops was ruled out as the area has been experiencing rain frequently.
A similar occurrence was reported in Japan in March 2020 days after one of the fiercest lightning storms on record struck Tokyo .
A similar dark rain fell in Japan in the wake of the atomic bomb blasts over Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 during World War II.An aerial view of Nakuru TownFile
- On the Spot19 January 2021 - 7:59 pm
- Not Here19 January 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Covid-19 Update19 January 2021 - 6:45 pm
- healthcare boost19 January 2021 - 6:19 pm
- new beginnings19 January 2021 - 5:57 pm
- Backlash19 January 2021 - 6:12 pm
- behind bars19 January 2021 - 5:20 pm
- trouble19 January 2021 - 4:42 pm
- On the Spot19 January 2021 - 4:41 pm
- kind hearted19 January 2021 - 3:59 pm
- Relentless19 January 2021 - 3:00 pm
- Beware19 January 2021 - 3:18 pm