- Simon KiraguKENYANS.CO.KE
The Director of Public Prosecution Noordin Haji while speaking with Kenyans.co.ke on Tuesday, August 11, reiterated his stance after two suspects in the Ksh 300 million maize scandal raised over Ksh 1 billion fines following court orders.
The two were sentenced to 67 years with a Ksh 707 million fine and 69 years with a Ksh 727 million fine respectively, after being found guilty of stealing taxpayers money.
Haji declined to comment on whether the two had submitted their fines but remained committal to his stance that the funds would be scrutinised if the court accepts them.Grace Wakhungu (left) and Sirisia MP John Waluke (right) in court in June 2020File
"We can only scrutinise after the court has approved," Haji stated.
The duo was denied bail and bond with principal prosecution counsel Ruby Okoth arguing that the convicts had not raised any serious grounds to warrant their temporary release.
The DPP further stated that he would object any appeals to lessen the sentencing of the duo after they appealed the case.
"The court has already denied them bail. The only thing remaining is the reduction of sentence and we shall oppose that," Haji added.
The attorney is also leading the charge against graft cases involving former Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero, his successor Mike Sonko and former Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu.
BBC, on Thursday, January 16, reported that Haji, met President Uhuru Kenyatta in the Coast on Monday, January 13, where he was challenged to secure high-status convictions in 2020.
The Wakhungu, Waluke case remains watertight so far, with Haji set to honour the head of state's fight against corruption.File image of DPP Noordin Haji (left) shaking hands with President Uhuru Kenyatta (right) at a past eventFile
- Listen Up23 November 2020 - 7:58 pm
- Rain Alert23 November 2020 - 7:52 pm
- Innovative23 November 2020 - 7:45 pm
- moving ahead23 November 2020 - 7:16 pm
- Fire Back23 November 2020 - 6:47 pm
- triple tragedy23 November 2020 - 6:24 pm
- update23 November 2020 - 4:52 pm
- Game on23 November 2020 - 5:25 pm
- Changes Tune23 November 2020 - 4:37 pm
- Unfortunate23 November 2020 - 3:42 pm
- Take Caution23 November 2020 - 2:38 pm
- troubling time23 November 2020 - 3:00 pm