The Kenya National Highway Authority was forced to act and manage a traffic snarl-up along Thika Road after motorists spent over three hours stuck on the superhighway.
KENHA reopened service lanes at the Garden City Footbridge to allow motorists to access the road and ease up traffic.
"Traffic flow along the Thika Superhighway is gradually opening up after the reopening of the service lanes on-site at the Garden City Footbridge," KENHA tweeted on Saturday, August 22.
Motorists led an uproar on social media platforms, with many wondering what had caused the traffic snarl-up.Traffic snarl-up at Thika Road on Saturday morning, August 22, 2020File
On Friday, August 14, KENHA announced a partial closure of the section for five days, from Friday, August 21 to Tuesday, August 25.
The closure was due to the erection of a steel deck on the bridge. KENHA announced that the road will be closed from 9 p.m to 4 a.m as opposed to the ongoing construction works during the day which caused an uproar.
Traffic heading to Nairobi was advised to use Exit 8 at Kasarani, through Baba Dogo Road and to join Thika Road through Outer Ring Road.
Thika-bound traffic was advised to use the diversion around the site or seek alternative routes behind the Mountain Mall.
On Saturday, August 22, KENHA once again advised motorists planning to use Thika Road to use alternative routes as proposed.
Thika Superhighway is undergoing constant expansion and renovation, with footbridges also being set at various junctures of the road.
On August 8, a footbridge was installed at the Outer Ring Road - Thika Superhighway overpass at GSU headquarters with another one installed earlier on at Thika Superhighway at Kenya School of Monetary Studies (KSMS).A section of the Thika Superhighway at Survey UnderpassSimon Kiragu
- Cost Cutting24 November 2020 - 5:12 pm
- Surge24 November 2020 - 3:45 pm
- admission24 November 2020 - 3:49 pm
- Ruto Response24 November 2020 - 2:54 pm
- On the Spot24 November 2020 - 3:15 pm
- act of kindness24 November 2020 - 3:01 pm
- panic24 November 2020 - 2:39 pm
- clarification24 November 2020 - 2:32 pm
- Conquerors24 November 2020 - 2:29 pm
- Higher Level24 November 2020 - 2:05 pm
- secret admirer24 November 2020 - 2:10 pm
- bounce back24 November 2020 - 1:33 pm