Kandara MP Alice Wahome on Sunday, September 27, allayed rumours that she is set to resign from her Parliamentary seat.
Wahome fired back at Law Society of Kenya President Nelson Havi for claiming that she was set to confirm her resignation from Parliament following her remarks on Saturday.
The rejoinder comes on the backdrop of Chief Justice David Maraga's advisory to President Uhuru Kenyatta to dissolve Parliament for failing to implement the two-thirds gender rule.Chief Justice David Maraga pictured in his office in 2019File
The MP noted that the directive by Maraga affected a wide range of politicians holding different positions, not just MPs, insisting that she will not resign from her seat.
"I have seen a post by LSK President Nelson Havi circulating in the social media that I will resign from Kandara Parliamentary seat by reason of CJ Maraga's advisory of dissolution of Parliament.
"The advisory is directed against Parliament, not individual members. I am not resigning," read her statement.
Wahome urged Parliament to move with speed to enforce the two-thirds gender rule and asked for the bill to be tabled in order for them to pass it.
Speaking in a video that surfaced on Saturday, September 27, Wahome supported Maraga's advise to dissolve Parliament.
"We have failed as Parliament to implement the two-thirds gender rule, the constitution states that we should all go home.
"The President can try what he can, we as women have had enough, we agree with CJ Maraga and urge insults against him to stop," she noted.
Havi commended Wahome after the comments and asked if any MP would follow her decision, he would support the legislator.LSK President Nelson Havi speaking at a ceremony to admit lawyers to the bar on July 3, 2020File
- Reopening Challenges20 October 2020 - 8:21 pm
- Harsh measures20 October 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Elegant20 October 2020 - 7:32 pm
- Huduma Debate20 October 2020 - 7:09 pm
- The Chosen20 October 2020 - 6:59 pm
- Tragedy20 October 2020 - 5:57 pm
- latest20 October 2020 - 4:50 pm
- Explained20 October 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Commendable20 October 2020 - 4:37 pm
- Stunning20 October 2020 - 4:07 pm
- Confessions20 October 2020 - 2:48 pm
- Pay Day20 October 2020 - 2:14 pm