A four-storey building collapsed in Kajulu West, Kisumu county on Tuesday night, September 29, leaving three construction workers trapped inside.
Three other workers were rescued from the collapsed building and were rushed to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH).
The six workers were sleeping on the ground floor of the building when it collapsed at around 10 pm.A collapsed building in Kajulu West in Kisumu county on Tuesday 29 September 2020.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, a correspondent in Kisumu Victor Charlse reported that the building may have collapsed due to the heavy rains pounding the area.
"The building is located next to Mamboleo market, and was a residential building under construction, heavy rains have been witnessed in the area so that might have lead to its collapse.
"The rescue team is on the ground trying to retrieve those who are still trapped in the building, but so far no deaths have been reported," he explained.
Police officers and a multi-agency rescue team consisting National Youth Service (NYS) officers and Red Cross are currently present at the scene.
According to sources on the ground, one of the construction workers can be heard talking from the rubble as the rescue teams step up their efforts to retrieve him.
An excavator has been deployed at the scene to carefully comb the rubble to reduce the number of casualties.
The three masons who were rushed to JOOTRH were released and have since joined the rescue operations to located their colleagues.A building that collapsed in Pipeline Estate in Nairobi on January 3, 2018.The Standard
- Goodbye24 October 2020 - 2:38 pm
- doppleganger24 October 2020 - 2:11 pm
- sweet24 October 2020 - 1:51 pm
- gruesome24 October 2020 - 1:28 pm
- Halleluhya!24 October 2020 - 1:00 pm
- will they?24 October 2020 - 12:13 pm
- Presidential Treatment24 October 2020 - 11:42 am
- helping hand24 October 2020 - 11:30 am
- Her Take24 October 2020 - 10:37 am
- Tough Crowd24 October 2020 - 9:59 am
- must watch24 October 2020 - 9:31 am
- fatal24 October 2020 - 8:45 am