A luxury vehicle burst into flames on Tuesday, October 20, on Shelly Beach in Likoni, Mombasa County.
Confirming the incident, Likoni Police Commander Jane Munywoki stated that the Toyota Landcruiser V8 spontaneously caught fire after getting stuck on the busy beach.
The occupants in the vehicle were reported to have escaped with minor injuries as the flames ravaged the vehicle.
Watch the video of the fire incident below:
In a video, the smoke appears to have emanated from the vehicle's engine before razing down the entire car.
The cause of the fire was not yet established as investigations are still ongoing.
Before travelling to the beach, motorists are advised to drive a vehicle with a 4-wheel drive, especially on the patches with soft sand.
Also, it is better to drive along the area between the water and the high tide line where the sand is compacted. Here, one is less likely to get stuck.
It is also best practice to lighten your load as much as possible before your beach excursion.
This is because the heavier your vehicle is, the more it will sink in the sand. You’ll also have better clearance if the vehicle is lighter.
Another thing one can do is to let a little air out of the tires before driving on the beach. The science behind the reduced tire pressure is the provision of more traction that will make it easier to safely maneuver across the sand.
The best time to drive on the beach is within two hours of low tide. This minimises the chance of the tide quickly moving in where you parked.
Also, when driving on a beach, drivers are advised to maintain a slow speed and avoid hard braking to reduce the chances of getting stuck in the sand.An offroad vehicle maneuvering a sandy beach
- Cushioned24 November 2020 - 8:24 pm
- On the Spot24 November 2020 - 8:11 pm
- masterplan24 November 2020 - 7:39 pm
- costly24 November 2020 - 7:27 pm
- tension24 November 2020 - 7:57 pm
- Caught on Tape24 November 2020 - 7:18 pm
- it is on!24 November 2020 - 6:57 pm
- Stuck24 November 2020 - 6:25 pm
- Dire24 November 2020 - 6:43 pm
- Cost Cutting24 November 2020 - 5:12 pm
- Surge24 November 2020 - 3:45 pm
- admission24 November 2020 - 3:49 pm