Two businessmen were apprehended in a covert operation conducted by detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) on Thursday night, November 27.
The DCI said that the two were arrested for allegedly participating in a fake gold syndicate which was unearthed and foiled by the detectives.
The duo, directors at a freight company, were accused of swindling a Burkina Faso national an unsubstantiated amount of money.
They also allegedly claimed that they were in possession of gold which he could purchase.Machines seized by detectives in Nairobi on Thursday night, November 26, 2020
"The officers burst into the house in Nairobi’s Convent Drive, Lavington, and arrested the two.
"We also seized four metal boxes containing fake gold nuggets, assorted stamps and gold smelting equipment," the detectives tweeted.
DCI appealed to any other person who might have fallen victim to the syndicate to file a report at the SCU offices at Mazingira Complex on Kiambu Road.
The two will be arraigned in court on Monday, November 30, 2020.
Such cases of fake gold syndicates are prone in several lavish Nairobi estates, from Lavington to Kilimani, Karen and Kileleshwa. Some of the scams end tragically, with victims murdered or kidnapped.
In September 2020, DCI launched an investigation into the death of businessman Kelvin Omwenga who was shot dead on Friday, August 21 inside a Kilimani, Nairobi apartment.
The murder case was linked to fake gold syndicate, with the deceased alleged to have been planning a trip to Dubai to seal a fake gold deal.Directorate of Criminal Investigations headquarters along Kiambu RoadSimon KiraguKenyans.co.ke
- Take Note28 January 2021 - 2:12 pm
- BOLD MOVE28 January 2021 - 2:18 pm
- Scared28 January 2021 - 1:10 pm
- spilled beans28 January 2021 - 12:25 pm
- Freedom28 January 2021 - 12:33 pm
- tricked28 January 2021 - 1:54 pm
- Audacious28 January 2021 - 11:32 am
- 24/728 January 2021 - 1:34 pm
- Lay blame28 January 2021 - 1:14 pm
- Reshufflement28 January 2021 - 12:06 pm
- i'm out28 January 2021 - 12:19 pm
- battle front28 January 2021 - 11:46 am