Former Presidential Aspirant Martha Karua, on Monday, November 30, won Ksh2.7 million in a case involving Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru's 2017 elections.
The former Minister had moved to East African Court of Justice in Arusha, Tanzania, after she lost her case at the Supreme Court of Kenya in 2019.
Karua was awarded the money in damages for violation of her right to fair hearing in the petition.
She sued the government, over the election of Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru in the 2017 General Election.Former Gichugu MP Martha Karua addresses the Women at Web summit in Nairobi on February 25, 2020.
Karua protested that the government, through the Supreme Court, dismissed her election petition appeal.
"I'm filing this suit for the wrongs committed to me by the judicial arm of the government, arising from the decision of the Supreme Court on August 7, when my election petition was dismissed," she revealed at the time.
She accused Kenya's apex court of denying her justice, stating that it was decided that her petition had exhausted the time frame for filing the case.
"My feeling and that of my lawyer is that the Kenyan government has violated the treaty of East African Community which binds them to the rule of law, democracy and human rights," Karua added.
In her petition, the former Justice minister reported cases of bribery in Kirinyaga polling stations, arguing that it affected the outcome of the gubernatorial election.
The High Court in Kerugoya, where she first made her case, threw out the petition and faulted her for failing to provide evidence back her claims.
She maintained that the elections were rigged in Waiguru's favour, and that the court had failed in its mandate to deliver justice.File image of Kirinyaga Governor Anne WaiguruFile
- Strict Supervision20 January 2021 - 12:31 pm
- Details20 January 2021 - 12:14 pm
- Take Note20 January 2021 - 11:24 am
- Ultimatum20 January 2021 - 11:05 am
- dream turn nightmare20 January 2021 - 10:32 am
- Developments20 January 2021 - 11:41 am
- Impunity20 January 2021 - 9:57 am
- revealed20 January 2021 - 9:19 am
- Revealed20 January 2021 - 8:27 am
- Dilemma20 January 2021 - 8:03 am
- Choices20 January 2021 - 7:23 am
- On the Spot19 January 2021 - 7:59 pm