General Service Unit (GSU) rushed to Kapedo Mixed Secondary School in Baringo County on Monday January 11, 2021 to evacuate students after a deadly bandit attack.
The unit was roped in after one person was shot dead by bandits along the volatile Turkana and Baringo border that has experienced insecurity.
The students were relocated to a safe village nearby under the tight security of the GSU officers who used one of their lorries in the evacuation process.General Service Unit officers foil a riot in Kisumu in 2017.
The bandits attacked the Kapedo area and began spraying bullets with reports indicating that the they were looking for stolen livestock.
The Pokot and Turkana communities have been fighting over the control of Kapedo Trading Centre for a number of years resulting in numerous deaths.
The conflict has also been heightened by disputes of herding grounds and cattle rustling which has kept hundreds of kids out of school.
Rapid Deployment Unit (RDU) and GSU has been deployed in the area to beef up security following the numerous banditry attacks.
This comes only a week after schools fully reopened on Monday, January 4 following a nine-month break due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
In November, two High School students were among four people killed in a morning attack in the area.
Unknown assailants were said to have ambushed the four teenagers and shot them dead as they had gone in search of firewood in early morning hours.
Numerous peace meetings have been held in the area by Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya to calm tensions between the two rival communities.dead shabaab death fire stolen killed fight
- Developments22 September 2021 - 8:53 am
- Remarkable22 September 2021 - 8:59 am
- Heart breaking22 September 2021 - 8:45 am
- Legal Tussle22 September 2021 - 8:04 am
- Backfired22 September 2021 - 7:25 am
- Decision22 September 2021 - 7:42 am
- Remarkable21 September 2021 - 8:03 pm
- UNVEILING21 September 2021 - 7:59 pm
- Politicking21 September 2021 - 7:16 pm
- tragedy21 September 2021 - 6:38 pm
- Pay Up21 September 2021 - 6:28 pm
- details21 September 2021 - 6:06 pm