Families and business owners in Kitale are counting losses after Kenya Railways Corporation demolished over 100 businesses in the area.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, a correspondent based in the region confirmed that the demolitions have been ongoing for three days since Friday, January 29.
He further noted that a notice to vacate had been issued to the business operators in December 2020.
"The demolitions are still ongoing and have started on Friday. I cannot give a significant value of the property, but it is worth billions. These were permanent businesses you know," stated the correspondent.Resident comb through rubble after Kenya Railways Demolished businesses.
The demolitions were instituted by Kenya Railways in a move to reclaim its land from businesses it claimed had encroached the parcel.
Confirming the incident, Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya warned those who would oppose the demolitions noting that a notice had been issued.
"Those who encroached on railway land are hereby called upon to vacate to give room for resumption of train services," stated Natembeya.
Some of the bystanders confirmed receiving a notice ahead of the demolitions.
"A notice was given and the state cannot carry out a function without following the law. It has followed the law but some Kenyans are ignorant," stated one of the witnesses.
One of the victims, however, decried the demolition noting that she did not have anywhere else to go.
"There are no houses in Kitale. There are no houses in Kitale. We are wondering what next. We ask the state to help us. We had paid rent to the last day of January," lamented the victim.
Among those affected are hotels, retail shops, churches, guest houses and bars among others.Workers at the Nairobi Central Railway Station in 2020Kenya Railways
- Made Different18 September 2021 - 6:55 pm
- CELEBRATORY18 September 2021 - 7:01 pm
- Head On18 September 2021 - 6:21 pm
- congratulations18 September 2021 - 4:01 pm
- Truth Bombs18 September 2021 - 3:55 pm
- Time Schedule18 September 2021 - 3:36 pm
- OPERATION18 September 2021 - 4:46 pm
- Sad incident18 September 2021 - 2:59 pm
- TITHING DIFFERENTLY18 September 2021 - 3:28 pm
- details18 September 2021 - 2:08 pm
- Posh living18 September 2021 - 1:24 pm
- Piece of advice18 September 2021 - 1:57 pm