Court Summons Sonko Over Contradictory Medical Reports

  • Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko during his impeachment hearing in December 2020.
    Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko during his impeachment hearing in December 2020.
  • Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti, on Monday, March 15, noted that former Nairobi governor Mike Sonko was attended to by four doctors on February 19, who participated in writing his medical report and appended their signatures to the report.

    It was pointed out that the medical reports presented to the court on Monday, March 15 were contradictory to the reports from Kenyatta National Hospital.

    “In any case, the condition of the accused had changed, permission should have been sought to seek a further report from the same doctors who in the eyes of the court are independent,” said Ogoti.

    Sandra Mbuvi with Former Nairobi Governor in hospital on February 13, 2021.
    Sandra Mbuvi with Former Nairobi Governor in hospital on February 13, 2021.
    Instagram

    The report on Sonko’s medical examination said, “The patient was kempt and showed no abnormal mannerisms. He was calm and showed no restlessness.”

    It was also pointed out that he maintained eye contact throughout the examination, his speech was normal and his mood was low.

    The former governor’s thoughts were also said to have been logical and coherent as well as had no delusional thoughts nor did he have disturbances in perception.

    “From what has been outlined, the court has come to the conclusion that no sufficient material has been placed before it, to convince that the accused is unable to attend the court,” said Ogoti.

    “That being the case, it is hereby directed that the accused attends court on Tuesday, March 16 at 10 am.  Failure to which, there will be consequences,” he added.

    It was noted that there was no permission sought from the court to obtain private medical reports as evidence for the court to consider and that it is a basic practice unless in an emergency beyond the control of the parties.

    The former Nairobi Governor was released on March 5, on a cash bail of Ksh 500,000. He is facing terror-related charges, pleaded not guilty, and was released by Chief Magistrate Diana Mochache at Kahawa Law Courts.

    Magistrate, Peter Ooko, had earlier been told that Sonko is mentally unfit to stand trial, with his lawyers arguing that the former Nairobi County boss had been examined by a doctor at Aga Khan Hospital whose report indicated that Sonko was unfit to stand trial.

    Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko during a court session on Wednesday, February 3, 2021.
    Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko during a court session on Wednesday, February 3, 2021.
    K24 Digital