Nominated MP Wilson Sossion has stepped down as Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) Secretary-General ahead of the union's elections set for Saturday, June 26.
Sossion, on Friday, June 25, announced that he had bowed to pressure and demands by teachers. He held the press conference at Windsor Golf Hotel, Nairobi. His family and friends were present at the event.
"I bow out of KNUT as the Secretary-General. I shall remain loyal to KNUT and will always be available to advise and support the leadership of the union," he stated.
"As I exit, I hope the government will support teachers. I am making this appeal. I trust that the government will find it necessary to allow the union money to flow to the teachers," he added.Wilson Sossion at a press conference on Friday, June 25, 2021File
Sossion had served as Secretary-General since 2016 and had already started plans for KNUT national elections.
In 2017, ODM nominated Sossion to represent teachers' interests in Parliament.
“I have outgrown KNUT. My responsibility now shifts to Parliament,” he announced that he would fully focus on his political career.
In May 2021, the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) de-registered him as a teacher.
Sossion challenged the decision by TSC to remove him from the teachers' register through a gazette notice but lost the case.
He had hoped that the court would declare the regulations his employer relied on to deregister him as null and void and inconsistent with Article 38 of the constitution.
“The real motive for the action of the Commission was to kill trade unionism in the education sector,” he lamented.
Watch Sossion announce his resignation
- PLAN IN PLACE24 January 2022 - 8:34 pm
- Recognition24 January 2022 - 6:43 pm
- NEW MEMBER24 January 2022 - 6:02 pm
- Response24 January 2022 - 5:44 pm
- exposed24 January 2022 - 5:57 pm
- new orders24 January 2022 - 4:38 pm
- Uplifting24 January 2022 - 5:07 pm
- revealed24 January 2022 - 3:09 pm
- BEST SUITED24 January 2022 - 2:14 pm
- Defiant24 January 2022 - 1:36 pm
- Revolutionaries24 January 2022 - 2:13 pm
- Remarkable24 January 2022 - 1:03 pm