Kenyan High Commission in the UK on Monday, March 20, invited submissions for the Queen’s Commonwealth essay competition, encouraging Kenyans to apply.
According to the Embassy, the competition will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Commonwealth Youth Programme.
Interested participants were asked to write pieces exploring the power young people hold within the global community and consider how that power could be harnessed to make a meaningful impact in the world.
“Commonwealth heads of government declared 2023 a year dedicated to youth-led action for sustainable and inclusive development and called on the renewal and strengthening of our commitment to youth engagement and empowerment,” the statement read in part.
Additionally, the embassy stated that the winner of the competition would get a trip to London for a week of educational and cultural activities.
“The top winner from each category will be awarded a trip to London for a week of educational and cultural events culminating in a special awards ceremony at a royal palace,” the statement explained.
Other winners would get Gold, Silver and Bronz awards during the special awards ceremony while all successful entries would receive a certificate of participation.
“Entries are open between March 16, and June 30, 2023,” noted the statement.
The competition has junior and senior categories.
Organisers indicated that applicants in the Senior category ought to be aged between 14 and 18 years.
The submissions were to answer the following questions
1. As Head of the Commonwealth, His Majesty the King is opening an international conference on the importance of young people in decision-making. Write his speech.
2. Does age matter?
3. The 2023 Year of Youth was a moment of significant social change, what was its impact on the world?
4. Script a dialogue between two people, with contrasting viewpoints, on an issue that divides generations.
In the junior category, applicants should to be under the age of 14.
The applicants ought to answer the following questions
1. In fiction and throughout history, young people have performed numerous acts of heroism. Choose your favourite young hero and write to them stating why you admire them.
2. What is your youthful superpower and how can it make a positive difference in the world?
3. You have been stranded on a planet where everyone is 18 years or under. Journal your experience.
4. Why does your voice matter?
How to Apply
Interested persons were directed to send in their applications to www(dot)royalcwsociety(dot)org or to Email competition(@)royalsociety(dot)org.
The Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition is the world’s oldest international writing competition marking 140 years since it was established in 1883.